Homemade fish and chips is our favorite way to cook up our fresh catch. We shared about a recent ice fishing trip and how to fillet a fish. We figured we might as well share our favorite recipe for a tasty, wild harvested meal! Deep fried fish and chips is not the healthiest meal option so we don’t eat it more than once a month. We try to fry in coconut oil and somehow that makes me feel like it is a tad bit healthier!
This recipe can be made with fresh white meat fish like perch or cod. You can also use frozen fish, just make sure it is thawed completely before frying since moisture and hot frying oil do NOT mix. And yes, I’m unfortunately speaking from experience on that one!
We love to eat our fish and chips with a side of homemade tarter sauce. We also occasionally make fried fish and serve it up in fish tacos for a little spin on fried fish. Either way, it makes a tasty meal!
Our Homemade Fish and Chips Recipe
3-4 medium size baking potatoes
1 pound fish (we use perch or cod)
1 cup flour (we’ve used unbleached white and gluten free buckwheat)
1 cup corn meal
1/2 cup beer
1/2 tsp cayenne (optional)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
coconut oil for frying
1. Scrub the potatoes but leave the skins on.
2. Slice the potatoes into thin slices.
3. Place the potatoes in frying oil heated to 350 degrees.
4. Once the chips start to turn light brown, scoop them out with a metal slotted spoon. Place them on a cloth covered plate so the grease will drain off.
5. Sprinkle with salt to taste.
1. Place 1 cup of flour in a bowl and mix in salt, pepper and cayenne (optional). In a separate bowl, place 1 cup cornmeal.
2. Place the eggs and beer in a bowl. Whip with a fork until the eggs are beaten and mixed with the beer.
3. Set up an assembly line with the flour bowl first, the egg/beer mix second and the corn meal last.
4. Place a piece of fish in the flour and shake until coated. Then place the fish in the egg/beer mixture and shake until coated. Finally place the fish in the cornmeal and shake until coated.
5. Once all the fish pieces are coated, place them into the frying oil heated to 350 degrees. The fish breading will turn a slightly darker color when done.
6. Scoop the fish from the frying oil with the metal slotted spoon and place on another cloth covered plate so the grease can drain.
7. Slice the lemon and squeeze fresh lemon juice over the fish and serve with the homemade chips.