I am normally not a huge fan of kale (yes, secret homesteader confession right here!), but every time we make these delicious kale chips I can’t stop eating them! Our homemade kale chips are so crispy, crunchy and addicting. Even my kids love them and often it is hard to get them to eat anything green!
How could a green, leafy vegetable turn into a tasty, crispy snack? I’m willing to try anything once so I made a batch. I was put in my place. I couldn’t believe how good they actually tasted!
I’ve made kale chips more times than I can count since that first batch over five years ago. They are so easy to make and a healthy snack alternative to the traditional greasy potato chip. Are you ready to make your own kale chips? I’m warning you now, they are so addictive you won’t be able to stop eating them!
How to make Crispy, Crunchy Kale Chips even your kids will love
The key to making perfect crispy, crunchy kale chips is to bake them at a low temperature.
1 bunch of kale (any variety of kale works for this recipe)
1 TBS Olive oil
1/2 teaspoon sea salt (this is the kind we use)
- Step 1: Preheat the oven to 300 F. Rinse the kale and pat dry to remove all moisture.
- Step 2: Cut the thick center rib out of the leaves. Tear the leaves into bite size pieces and place them in a large bowl.
- Step 3: Sprinkle the oil over the kale leaves. Use your hands to toss the kale and ensure all the pieces are coated with oil.
- Step 4: Spread the kale evenly in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. I always use two baking sheets to make sure the kale is in a single layer which helps it roast better.
- Step 5: Sprinkle the salt over the kale.
- Step 6: Bake the kale about 10 minutes then pull the pans from the oven and stir it before returning to the oven. Bake the kale another 5-10 minutes until the chips are crispy and crunchy but not burnt.
- Step 7: Remove from the oven and enjoy!
I’ve heard of people adding other seasoning to their kale chips, like garlic powder, cumin or chili powder. We love them only salted but that is just our family’s preference!
Tips to keep kale chips crispy and crunchy
We’ve learned that the key to keeping kale chips crispy and crunchy even a few days after they were made: do not put them in an airtight container. I put them in a bowl on the kitchen counter and cover it with a kitchen towel. This allows a little air flow so the kale chips don’t get soggy and gross.
The other great thing about having the bowl of kale chips on the kitchen counter is they are easily accessible so when I’m cooking dinner I snack on their crispy, crunchy deliciousness!